These Air Fried Broccoli Bites bring back so many memories for me. Many years ago, I worked at Bennigan’s in Jacksonville, Florida. There were so many foods that I loved but my favorite was Broccoli Bites dipped in Honey Mustard Dressing. When I received my air fryer from a friend, I knew that I had to recreate this favorite without the deep fried oil. They can be a bit time consuming because you need to let the broccoli drain and freeze the bites before actually frying them but it’s well worth the wait. The best part is that they are just 1 Weight Watchers point each.
1 Weight Watchers Point Each
Air Fried Broccoli Bites
These are a perfect snack, lunch or appetizer. The recipe makes about 20 bites but they are just 1 point each so you can have as few or as many as you like. The first step in making these is to thaw out the frozen broccoli then let it drain well in a sieve for at least 30 minutes. Once it’s drained and dry, it should be finely chopped in a food processor along with a bit of onion. When mixed with the other ingredients, it will need to be placed in the refrigerator for at least an hour to firm up a bit. I like to hang it over a bowl in a sieve during this phase as well because I want to ensure that all of the water has been drained.
There are a few special items that are needed to make this recipe. You will need an Air Fryer, any brand that you are comfortable with should be fine. I was gifted an Air Daddy by Presto and love it due to the ease in use and large frying basket. A sieve of some sort is very important to drain the broccoli and while not necessary, a small baking scoop makes it easy to keep the ball sizes even. My scoop holds a bit over 1 Tablespoon.
More recipes that you might be interested in:
- 10 oz frozen broccoli florets, thawed, drained, and dried
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely diced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 slice crisp cooked bacon, cut into small bits
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely shredded Colby and Monterey Jack cheese
- 1⁄4 cup Italian style bread crumbs (more or less as needed)
- 1⁄4 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Place thawed, drained, and dried broccoli florets into a food processor and add the chopped onions. Pulse until everything is chopped up finely.
- Beat together eggs in a medium mixing bowl with a whisk. Add in all other ingredients except the breadcrumbs. Mix with a spatula until thoroughly combined.
- Place in the refrigerator to bind the mixture for at least an hour.
- Scoop out a bit more than 1 tablespoon (this is where the baking scoop comes in handy) of the mixture and form a ball.
- Roll the balls in the breadcrumbs, coating them well.
- Place balls on a tray and freeze for at least an hour.
- Heat the Air Fryer to 400 degrees for just a few minutes. Place the bites in one layer in the basket and fry at 400 for 15 minutes. (If you've decided to make the dressing, you can do that while the bites cook).
- Serve right away.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine all ingredients with a whisk until smooth and well combined.
Additional Recipes You Might Like