Pickled Onions with Tomatoes and Feta are a perfect summer salad. The onions are sweet and tangy and the chili peppers give it just a touch of heat. Feta cheese is a favorite of my family’s and while I use and have here in the recipe full feta, you can substitute in fat-free. Like always, fat-free items are not something that I use very often because I don’t like the taste. If you do though, you can cut the points a tiny bit and even add in a little more feta. I don’t think it’s necessary to sacrifice flavor for a half a point or so though since this salad is just 2 points anyway, but I leave that up to you.
Weight Watchers Freestyle Points: 2
Pickled Onions with Tomatoes and Feta
The first step to this recipe is to make the pickled red onions. It’s pretty simple and only takes a few minutes to get it going, then you need to wait at least 30 minutes but the longer you wait for the better. I generally give them a couple of hours to pickle. Make sure that you don’t dump out the liquid after you are done pickling because you will use that to make a salad dressing. Once the onions have pickled, it’s just about done by mixing everything together. I like to let everything sit in the refrigerator for the flavors to marry before serving but it can be served and eaten right away.
More recipes you might like:
- 1⁄2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp table salt, split into (2) ½ teaspoons
- 3⁄4 cup(s) white wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 of a large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pint (about 10 oz) grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 English cucumber(s), sliced and quartered
- 14 Pitted Greek Kalamata olives, halved
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 1⁄2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, more or less for heat
- 1⁄8 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Start 2 or 3 cups of water to boil on the stove.
- While water comes to a boil, mix sugar, ½ tsp salt, vinegar and garlic in a small container.
- Blanch the onions by placing them in a mesh strainer in the sink. Slowly and carefully, pour the boiling water over the onions and let them drain.
- Once well drained, add the onions to the container and stir or shake up to evenly distribute flavors.
- Place the onions in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes (better after a few hours).
- While the onions are pickling, you can start prepping the rest of the salad.
- Once the onions are pickled, combine the lemon zest, lemon juice, honey, crushed red pepper, ½ tsp salt, pepper and the vinegar liquid from the onions into a bowl. Wisk the liquid continuously as you slowly drizzle in the olive oil.
- Place the cut tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, and onions into a large bowl. Pour the liquid over the vegetables and stir to mix together.
- Sprinkle with feta cheese and gently mix up.
Using fat-free feta won't save very much in the way of points but you could use more if that's your preference.
Additional Recipes You Might Like